I never seem to tire of novels where the girl disguises herself as a boy. I wonder what that means about me LOL!
I just finished The Education of Bet by Lauren Baraz-Logsted. It was a fun read but I think it could have been a little better. I'm not going to review on Amazon. (I've decided to do more reviews on amazon) because it isn't a 5 star. I've also decided not to review unless it's a five star book. Well, I guess there will be exceptions but as a general rule I'll stick to if you can't say something nice then don't say it at all way of thinking. Just because I might not think something is 5 stars doesn't mean that someone else won't. And I don't want to be responsible for someone not buying an author's book. I think Amazon has a lot of power that way. It certainly influences what I will read. My blog... that is another story since no one reads my blog except for my writer friends. I have it unsearchable on google so it is pretty much private unless someone strays here.
The Time Weaver by Shana Abe is another one. The prose is absolutely beautiful as usual. After I read it (which I would recommend but it still isn't a 5 star in my opinion), I couldn't help but wonder why I still felt something lacking. I have to admit, she did a fantastic job in making it different. The way she told the story. Actually, the construction of the story is a 5 star. I wish I would have read the Time Traveler's wife because I can't help but wonder if she borrowed the concept. Not that I think it's a big deal, I just kept wondering "how much?" while I was reading. Her writing also strikes me as melancholy. My blood doesn't pump with excitement. Her prose is calm and soothing. For me, it didn't bring forth a high level of anticipation which is something that I crave in a story. I think she could still do that even though her prose reminds me of poetry. I just took a peek at the reviews for The Time Weaver. Only 5 reviews as of today and only a "Kid" gave her a 5 star review so far. All the others gave her 4 stars. I believe that if she would pen her stories with a little more anticipation, something that makes us hold our breath, she's get the 5 star ratings. Just my opinion :)
1 comment:
this is my 1st vitst to your blog and i hope come here again
i liked your blog and ur talking
thanks
Sherif from Egypt
Post a Comment