Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Creative Writing in College

I’ve been thinking on college education a lot this week. I’ve been reading Shannon Hale’s stories which prompted me to investigate the author. Ms. Hale earned a M.F.A. in Creative Writing from the University of Montana. I love Eloisa James’s stories too… and she’s a professor of English, I believe the head of the creative writing department at her college. And there are TONS of published authors with degrees in English/Writing.

English is a weakness of mine. I’m still boggled over the reason that I like to write. It was never a life long dream… it just came to me like any other craft idea that popped into my head. I’m the kind of person that will look at a painting or a clever funky jewelry piece and think… I can do that! And then if I’m really in awe of it… I will do it. It was Virginia Henley’s story A Year and a Day that made the idea “I can write one of these” pop into my head. Not that I think I can write like Virginia Henley… I just want to create a great story like she was able to do.

But knowing that English is my weakness, I know (I believe) I need to learn more to succeed. Oh… I’ve read (studied) many books on writing but I wonder if it’s enough. I haven’t studied the “greats” and I haven’t studied the styles and progression of writing over history. And I haven’t studied poetry.

I’ve been buying used textbooks online for my oldest son who is starting high school next year. Yes, some are pretty damn expensive… but I’ve been able to find some pretty damn cheap… where the postage is more than the book! This got me to thinking about a Creative Writing Education. No, I am not going to spend money that I don’t have on an English degree BUT I can find the course requirements for a Creative Writing/English Degree online and do my own self-study… following a college plan. I’m still looking for the college that posts courses and assignments ;) University of California, Riverside posts a sample college plan and Course Descriptions that are helpful but I’m still looking. I am going to look for the college where Swain taught to see what they have posted online. I have some of his books already.

Today, I plan on working on my revision for Chapter 4. I revised 3 pages of it last night. Hopefully, I will finish chapter 4 today.

2 comments:

Dixie Belle said...

Listen, you don't have to study English to be a writer. You do a lot of reading, which is the best education you can get when it comes to writing. As long as you have a basic command of language and a good imagination, you can write and sell. I know a lot of writers who have no college whatsoever.

Mary said...

I know you are right! It's an insecurity of mine... the english language!! I am still going to submit. I know you are right... there are tons of authors who I admire who don't have English Degrees. Shana Abe is one... and I love the beauty of her prose!