Saturday, March 22, 2008

FEAR

Last night I started reading The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss. First off I’ll say… this guy is funny. He is delivering his belief system on how a person ought to live in a highly entertaining way. Though I am realizing some of the things he thinks is important wouldn’t apply to me, I am still nodding my head in agreement… OFTEN.

But there is something he said that I totally find BELIEVABLE:

“It’s lonely at the top. Ninety-nine percent of people in the world are convinced they are incapable of achieving great things, so they aim for the mediocre. The level of competition is thus fiercest for “realistic” goals, paradoxically making them the most time- and energy-consuming. It is easier to raise $10,000,000 than it is $1,000,000. It is easier to pickup the perfect 10 in the bar than five 8’s.”

“The fishing is best where the fewest go, and the collective insecurity of the world makes it easy for people to hit home runs while everyone else is aiming for base hits. There is just less competition for bigger goals.”

And on FEAR: He wrote a pretty good section on defining your fears. He offers a few questions for you to consider about your particular fear that is keeping you from attaining your goals. It really did make me see my fear as what it really is… my personal fear of failure. Silly when I look at it on paper.

I am FAILING to get published because I FEAR to submit because I FEAR that I will get rejected.… the very necessary process all writers go through to get published.

In response to his question, “What are you putting off out of fear?” His comments on this question include, “What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.” Laughing at myself… SUBMIT.

Then he challenges the reader to, “Resolve to do one thing every day that you fear.” I like this a lot… and I am going to commit myself to it.

AND as for my writing career, I am going to commit to SUBMITTING my young adult novel within the next two weeks (By April 5th) and then constantly having something SUBMITTED at ALL TIMES until my writing career can continue otherwise.

I am only on page 54 of The 4-Hour Workweek and I have really gotten a lot out of it. So already… I can HIGHLY recommend it. WAIT... I should mention that right now I don't have a job... so you DO NOT need to have a 9 to 5 job to get something out of this book.

1 comment:

Dixie Belle said...

This sounds like a great book! I am one of those people who never aim for the top either. Anyway, you need to submit. If you have something you want to submit but don't have the nerve, email it to me and I'll send it in for you. I'll be like your agent! LOL!!!