Thursday, May 04, 2006

“Magic” in Children’s books

This morning I opened up my email to read my monthly expression_online. This is the newsletter from SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators). An article caught my eye about Australian schools and libraries have increased their censorship of children’s books involving magic, violence, and obesenities/curse words. Here is a link the article from the Sydney Morning Herald titled “Taking Magic out of Books.”

I have been hearing this concern… actually I have been hearing this for some time now. Do you think this will be a worldwide trend… is it already. I LOVE the childrens/young adult books with magic but it does seem to me that more and more of these type books are being published than the straight non-magical stories. I personally think the magical stories appeal to the imaginititve minds of children BUT I also think a well crafted straight story can be just a good.

I’ve noticed since I’ve joined SCBWI that a lot of the articles in their newsletter come from Australia. I’m musing to myself now. But I wonder… is this because perhaps someone on the SCBWI newsletter staff is from Australia or does Australia have a bigger children audience? They also posted a new teen book website out of Australia titled Inside A Dog.

I just looked… the editor of the newsletter lives in the Philippines.

My writing news… I’m happy to report that yesterday I got a good start into revising my 2nd Scottish Historical adjusting for the change in plot and change to a darker hero.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Thank you... this explains all the opinions from Australia ;)

Harry Potter is huge here. No rows or anything that I'm aware of. I'm curious to what happened? Did they ban the books somewhere?

I love my bubble too. But I would take a stand with Harry Potter. Actually, I did this Christmas now that I think about it. With my brother in law in fact. His ex-wife is very strange... I mean it... seriously... anyhoo I wanted to give the Harry Potter books to their child for Christmas and he hesitated telling me that he didn't think his ex-wife would allow their daughter to read them. I wanted to say... well what do YOU think about her reading them... but I held my tongue. I did give him a piece of my mind (nicely but firmly)... which I know went in one ear and out the other.