Friday, March 03, 2006

Plotting and the faces you make lifting weights

I don’t feel like I got much accomplished in the writing department. I can’t seem to get the new plot for my SH#2 worked out. Its like dominoes… I change something… then I have to change something else because of the earlier change. The story is turning out to change quit a bit.

But I did get back on the workout wagon this week. And boy my muscles are screaming! I decided to do it the way the pro’s preach it. Do the right amount of weights with the combination of sets and reps (repetition of exercise movements) until my muscles feel like they can’t do anymore.

LORD… I’m out of shape!

I know I mentioned this guy in my blog before. I get his fitness motivation weight lifting newsletter. I thoroughly enjoy his writing too. He is a funny guy. This week’s newsletter was especially funny because he talks about making faces when you work out. I don’t make faces but I never really gave it a whole lot of thought except that I didn’t want to look stupid in front of my sons who often work out with me… until I read this week’s newsletter. Here is a clip… the first paragraph sets up the exercise but it’s the second paragraph that is a hoot!

“I rely on the Smith Press to accomplish effective shoulder training (dysfunctional deltoid, remember) and it's perfect for performing the PBN. After warming up, I load a 2.5-pound plate on each side of the bar. (I do this without help.) I exactly position myself on a fixed-back utility bench to assure the perfect groove, and engage the double-edged exercise. It's a great movement and I feel the delts respond, but the painful act causes me to make hideous faces.

There was a time when I thought hideous faces were very uncool, and I strained not to make them... or be caught making them. Besides being ugly, I was told they caused premature age lines. I got over the fear by the time I was 18 and decided strong dudes don't make stupid faces for other reasons: sign of no control; reveals one's true nature; exposes squirming inner-self under struggle; people snickered and mocked. Lately I don't
care. Whatever it takes, I do it. I find myself, in fact, assessing the worth of a rep or set by the extremity of my facial distortions. Eyes crossed, lips curled back, tongue darting between periodically clenched teeth, quivering chin... you probably know the gruesome combinations. A hideous face is about as accurate as a pump or burn in determining the
effect of an exercise.”

Okay… this might not be so funny if you never tried your hand at weights but it’s hysterical to me!

And to give him credit... this was a snip from Dave Draper's email newsletter... this weeks title is "I heard the news today, Oh Boy". You can read it here.

Now I’m back to plotting.

1 comment:

Shesawriter said...

Mary,

Don't feel bad. Like you, I didn't get much done either. It's been a hellish week filled with stops and almost starts.

Tanya