Monday, November 07, 2005

Dr. No's -- The Comic Book Shop

I’m trying to think what I’ve been doing that would have prevented me to write in my blog these past days. I guess it has been “kid time” mostly.

The boys didn’t have school today… don’t ask me why… they seem to always have the day off. Anyway… I took the boys to a comic book shop today. Dr. No’s…WILD! My youngest who is 8 or 9 (I can’t remember) was interested in this supervillain he recently discovered. And they happened to have a BIG statue of this supervillain in a glass case. No, I didn’t look at the price and only now I wonder who IS this person who would buy a two foot glazed statue that looked finely made of a supervillain? Maybe a two-foot sized Superman I could understand. But a supervillain? The man who worked in the shop (probably the owner) had this 20 minute conversation with my 8 year old about this supervillain and rattled off 2 or 3 specific comic issues (from years ago) of when the fantastic four encountered this villain. This man had to be in his sixties. Now I knew there were serious comic book collectors… but I never met one… until today. WILD! We really did have a great time in this shop… a decent size too. We found the “one piece” trading cards that never made it to Toys R Us. The older man’s assistant invited us over on Saturday where they host One Piece Game Tournaments nearly every Saturday. WILD! We may just go since I can’t figure out how to play the game LOL. I spent probably one hour today trying to decide on the correct procedures of “battle mode.” My son and I held different opinions. It’s true… I debated with my 9 year old how to kill each other! I’ll stop talking about this but really I felt like I walked into another world, another society! It is a new discovery ;)

I’m squeezing in The Stone Prince by Gena Showalter into my "Up Next" list. I think it may come up next since I’ve been wanting to read it for some time now. Why I didn’t buy it when it came out I’ll never know… but it took a while to get one. Wait a minute… I just click over to amazon and it’s for sale now! They must have put it back in print or something because I know I have a bad memory and everything but I am 99.9% sure it was out of print. Live and learn. Anyhoo… I’m saving it for the weekend. I have a terrible habit of not putting books down until they’re done that’s why I usually only read on the weekends. Oh and this is my kind of contemporary… Paranormal AND Hokey… in a good way ;)

1 comment:

Mary said...

My sons are 12 and 9. So your telling me they don't outgrow this? Laughing... I am having fun ;)