Saturday’s Work 10-8-05
15 minutes Blog
60 minutes read about Character Scrapbooking
3.5 hours wrote 4.5 new pages in SH#2
My writing is flow is starting to pick up. Thank God… I was beginning to worry.
Reading:
Finished Reading Return of the Warrior… this was a satisfying book to me but of course I do thoroughly enjoy Kinley MacGregor/Sherrilyn Kenyon books. I will say one thing, too often it feels like the ending climatic moments are rushed in her stories… for me I want more detail but that’s just me. Nevertheless, I was sastified and look forward to her next brotherhood of the sword novel.
Started Reading Blue Moon… WOW!!! It’s First Person and Lori Handeland is a VERY Witty Writer. I wish I were witty! This is the first book that I have read by Lori and I can see why she has won awards. BUT it was exhausting to read for me. I got through chapter seven and had to stop. I was confused over this because it really is a GREAT book. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s her sharp style of writing. I’m used to reading Historicals and Paranormals that have a soothing rhythmic flow in the words. Lori’s style is a constant flow of punchy lines. Not that it’s bad mind you, I love her distinctive voice but just that I couldn’t read it for hours at a time. I guess it will be a book that I’ll only be comfortable reading seven chapters at a time. This is actually a good thing for me because too often I’ll read a book in one sitting even if I have to stay up until 3 or 4 am if I’m really into it. This is bad especially if I have to get up at 6:30 am.
4 comments:
That's an interesting observation, Mary. My boyfriend also noted that sometimes I tend to write many tense scenes all together without any "rest" in between, which makes the story unbearable to read for a long time.
It took me 4 or 5 chapters before I realized why I was getting edgy. It is an edgy book though in a mystery kind of way... but it is the sharpness in her sentences that is affecting me. I was able to get through ten chapters tonight. I think that is the right word too... "rest." But it's not the same kind of rest you give after intense scenes, where you would put "thinking" scenes to give the reader a breather... it is her style of writing her actual sentences. I want to say every one of her sentences is sharp.
I see. I don't think I can write such sharp edgy sentences...one after the other...I may go nuts myself. I think sentences also need some variation. Otherwise it's like listening to the famous opening of Beethoven 5th. Tatata-dum! Tatata-dum! It's great...but not if you hear it for 1 hour.
Great work, Mary! Lori's book is on my wish list--I'll make a note about the sharp, tense writing and see if it affects me the same way.
Post a Comment