A Weekend Readathon
I needed it! It felt like I hadn’t read a romance in ages! So I read three this weekend ;)
They were all Kinley MacGregor Books
1) Master of Desire
2) Claiming the Highlander
3) Born in Sin
Kinley’s books read fast… really fast. I didn’t take my time to analyze her books but I have come to the conclusion that she writes big long scenes and little sequels. She does a lot of thought intermix with her dialogue… usually fun witty lines and she does it well. She doesn’t use paragraphs of “thought” in the middle of scenes like so many authors do… she drops it in little pieces at a time. It feels like just the right amount. I’m almost tempted to say that you almost always get a dialogue line with and then a “thought” line in her books. I think this is why they read so fast. I’m going to read Taming the Scotsman next…. Then I’ll start her brotherhood of the Sword series.
But since today is Monday… I won’t overlook my writing and editing.
One more thing about Kinley MacGregor/Sherrilyn Kenyon, she so does tortured heros so well. If you know her work you know what I mean. I suspect that is one of the main reason’s she is so popular. She always has one of her main characters (usually the hero) have a tortured past… and I mean that literally… they are always abused as a child or young adult and you feel bad for them and completely understand why they are an assassin or some other terrible present life. Then your hero gets a glimpse of heaven that the heroine represents… she is represented as the only good thing he has ever experienced in what feels like an eternity to him… he believes that he doesn’t deserve her that she deserves better than him… and you want the hero to have her so very bad… and so you’re cheering… really cheering… at the end of the book when he gets his piece of heaven ;) That… I believe is one of her main secrets to success.
Another author to note that does tortured heros is Karen Marie Moning.
No comments:
Post a Comment