Sunday, August 21, 2005

my old romanaces don't read the same

What Happened? I love Julie Garwood’s old books. I hadn’t read her in probably a year maybe two… since I’ve been studying techniques in writing a novel. Last night I decided to reread Saving Grace. I’m writing a Scottish Historical and was looking for inspiration to make my hero more imposing. And then as I read… still enjoying… but also realizing for the first time that Saving Grace wasn’t written so well (comparing to current standards). This is depressing to me… I hope her Clayborne series doesn’t affect me that way too… I loved that series! I am going to still read and study… because I think she does characterizations really well. Why? Because I remember her characters and I have the worse memory imaginable… and if I remember a character in a story I read ages ago then I’m impressed…. Really Impressed!

I can't quit thinking about it... I think it's the sentence structure and POV jumping. Her plot is tight... every detail in the story has a purpose.

Last night I worked on editing my 1st Scottish Historical. Going to the local RWA meetings really does give me an injection of motivation. I want to finish editing that book so I can safely pitch in at the conference.

1 comment:

Evangeline Holland said...

I agree! A few romances I remember reading when I first began reading romances come across as a bit overthetop and badly written. *G* It shows we've grown as writers, I guess.