Sunday, June 01, 2008

Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

The boys are off for Boy Scout Camp… and this afternoon the peace in the house was too tempting. I finished reading The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. It’s a young adult but I think a good one for middle school readers too.

I recently read two other books by Shannon Hale… A book of a thousand days and Princess Academy. All three of these books have much in common.

1) All three books are heroine driven.

2) All three heroines have unique magical like gifts.

3) All three heroines start out as sort of loners feeling somehow disconnected with the world around them.

4) All three heroines acquire friendships of others (as well as their significant other) during their “journey” that somehow become involved in the end.

5) All three heroines either are or become hard workers.

6) All three books have a bit of romance and are HEA books.

I bet I can think of more similarities if I spent the time. I’ve only read these three books from Ms. Hale but I can’t help but wonder if this same pattern follows with her other books. Ms. Hale did write two other stories from the world she made in Goose Girl and I DO plan on reading those. It was a great story!

No comments: