Yesterday I read Pleasure for Pleasure. I really liked this book and was impressed with how Ms. James tied up a few loose ends from her her other books. This romance had two love stories. As I read, I couldn't help but think of how nice it must be to be an established author thus giving you the freedom to openly play a bit with your writing. This book was a little different then her others... she had many POVS. Not head hopping but real scenes in the point of view of other characters like the characters in the second love story and the "villain" character. This was a 404 page story and was packed with scenes. I really did enjoy it BUT IMO... I think in a way all the mini stories that it contained did dilute the main characters love story.
Note: the following paragraph has been edited.
I am torn. Yesterday, I also began reading Penelope & Prince Charming by Jennifer Ashley. I just finished it... and thought she did an excellent job with the ending. I am puzzled over her writing. I honestly loved the story itself but there were love scenes that made me want to throw the book at the wall. I wrote earlier, "I would have LOVED this book IF the language weren't so crude." Once I finished the book, I realized that only a few of the love scenes were actually crude to me and it was those scenes that ruined my reading bliss. This is the only book that I've read by her... but I wonder what happened? Why did she add those love scenes that didn't highlight their love. It wasn't as if it was part of their growing love because they were already in love. IMO those love scenes served no purpose for her story... so why did she add them in? Sex sells is what I suspect. I want to read her next story but I am afraid. I think this story could have been so much better and don't really want to feel that disappointment again. I feel like I'm harping on this subject. I like hot sex scenes... I LOVE the way Virginia Henley writes the unusual sex scenes... but these didn't strike me a right for the story. I may edit this again later... because I really don't like writing negatives in my reviews... but right now... I'm still feeling a bit annoyed.
NOW... What I'm wondering about. I noticed this little tidbit since I read these stories back to back. Both heroines in Ms. James and Ms. Ashley's books look like "Renaissance madonnas" as Ms. James puts it. My question... is this a coming trend? Do you think it will catch on?
2 comments:
I hope so. I loved this book. But then again, she is one of my favorite romance authors.
Someone made me cry this Christmas. I wonder who????? YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best present! Love, Janie
I'm smiling... I'm so happy that you like it ;)
Post a Comment