Friday, September 22, 2006

YEP... 10 pages a day since Monday!!!

I’ve been online this week… but mostly at night. It’s been a super busy week.

This past Monday my oldest son joined the boy scouts and this weekend he is going camping and rock climbing with them. I’ve been jumping through hoops to get him ready, the shirt, the patches, camping stuff, the health certificate… I had to bring him for a physical for that (Wednesday). And he’s ungrateful… grumble grumble… I bought him some nice weatherproof hiking shoes… he doesn’t want to wear them. He wants to wear his cross country shoes. It’s going to rain. He’s only twelve and the attitude has started!!! Spoiled *!#$* Kid!! Did I mention that when I dropped him off… I saw that 90% of the other scouts were in hiking shoes???? Gurrrr And this just goes to show….
I need a life!!!!

Now to a nicer topic ;)

I’m participating in a workshop called “first draft” by Candace Havens. For her first draft you write 20 pages a day… commit to that, accept that you’ll write a “crappy” first draft, and write… no excuses… you write your pages. I am committed to using this to finish my Young Adult, but I am only writing 10 pages a day. I’m already past the half way mark with my young adult and if I went for 20 pages… not only would I go crazy… but I’d likely finish my book (first draft) within the first week ;) So for the last 4 days… I’ve written 10 pages…. And they are “crap.”

BUT the ideas that have come from it… I am very pleased. I’m sure I’ll cut some stuff out… but for the past four days… I’ve noticed by turning off the internal editor… the muse has been given free rein. I’m enjoying it. I’m not sure how much I would enjoy it, if I was one of those 20 pages a day people. But they are reporting breakthroughs with their stories as well… so this is an interesting experiment. Note: It’s not really the same as book in a week because this way you are committed to certain number of pages a day to get your first draft done. And I really think looking at my notes… I’m going to finish my first draft in just 3 or 4 days from now. Not sure, the muse has been coming up with some good stuff… but according to my notes… I’m at least three quarters finished.

Toe Update: My toe is still sore and I’m still not moving it… but it appears to be healing okay.

AvonLit Update: I didn’t Win LOL! BUT the winning entry was a “Wayward wife” scenario. My entry was also along the same lines… the hero and heroine were married. I can’t help but wonder how the story will sound… with all the different writing styles. I hope the person who did the USS Enterprise twist on the story keeps it up. They had Captain Kirk beam down into the ball LOL!!! If they write another… I’ll be tempted to vote until I find it LOL!

Evening Update… I made a batch of brownies to ease my nerves ;)

Amendment: I am in fact nearly finished this first draft and am realizing that I want to change the ending. It's not great enough. I have an idea for one way to fix it... but I want something bigger... maybe involving the leap... but I don't have it yet. I'm going to try to rewrite the end and see what the muse comes up with.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, Mary, that is fantastic progress! Good for you!

Mary said...

Thanks Beth... it does feel good to be so close to the end.