Monday, September 04, 2006

If You Dare by Kresley Cole

I finished reading IF YOU DARE and am completely pleased with my reward book ;)

I couldn't help but compare it to her other book A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER. IF YOU DARE was a great read but to me it did not carry the compelling pace like A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER. She definitely had that time limit urgency but there were a lot of thinking scenes/sequels. Don't get me wrong... this was a worthy read... I guess I was expecting that unique WOW factor like her paranormal.

What she does do that is really notable... she uses everything. She may muse on something in the beginning of a story and you think that is nice filler but don't think more about it until she brings it up again. For instance in the one I just read... she told a story in the beginning of the story that she phrases "coach and six" and by her just saying "coach and six" two or three more times through the story... you just knew what she was talking about. I really like that about her story. It gave "character" to her characters. It was more than that... by giving her character a "lingo" like that and the reader became part of it... it brought the story to a whole deeper personal level.

And another thing. In the two stories that I've read by her... she has a sarcastic character or more. I'm amused with that character.

I still plan on studying A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER.

I am undecided on my next reward book... it is between two.

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas (I have really enjoyed this series and this one is the last of them)

The Captain of All Pleasures by Kresley Cole (I am still on the Kresley Cole Kick and really really can't wait to read more.)

5 comments:

Shesawriter said...

Hey Mary,

One of these days I'm going to storm your archives and check out all these wonderful books you've reviewed. Maybe see if we've read some of the same. I do read a lot of historicals even though I don't write them. How strange is that? LOL!

Mary said...

LOL Tanya!!! Actually, last week I joined Librarything.com and will start posting my reviews on that as well. I'm don't think I'll post past books on it... but will try to post there from now on so it will all be in one spot. There have been too many times where I looked for one of my own past reviews to see what I thought of something and that search feature blogger has doesn't work for my blog.

And Janie... BOOKS... huge grin cuz I'm a greedy book loving friend LOL!

Shesawriter said...

Mary,

Whatever the case, find some way to save what you've written. It's valuable! I will definitely check out library.com.

BTW, Guess what I'm reading now?

Spell of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning. I think you recommended it some time ago. At least I think it was you. Whatever the case, I'm finally getting around to reading it.

Hugs, lady. :-)

Oh! Hiya Janie!!! Hope all is well. My writing is in the toilet as of late. Hopefully the muse fairy will get off her ass and do something constructive. Love ya!

Mary said...

I really really need to read the Spell of the Highlander. Nope it wasn't me because I haven't read it yet.... but it's been at the top of my "to read" pile for way too long. I keep passing it by and have real no idea why because I love her books!! I will try to get to it ASAP. The Dream Thief is first though :)

Shesawriter said...

Okay, if it wasn't you, then who was it? Damn! Somebody recommended it on my blog. Now I'm going to have to do a search to find out because it's bothering me now. :-)