Friday, June 09, 2006

One More Comment on the Dark Materials

I failed to bring to attention the controversial themes in this series. Last night, when I finished The Amber Spyglass, I guess I was still in awe of Philip Pullman’s work to consider what my son would think. I mean really think… because this series does make you think about God and the Church. You can’t help it because he does make the church (in the story) evil. I’d tell more but I would be giving away the story so I will resist.

Today, I thought about my twelve year old reading this trilogy... specifically the last book. I can handle reading something as “fiction.” I am an adult whose belief in God is strong, comfortable and secure. I can appreciate Philip Pullman’s imagination and use of words to create a vivid world… a fiction world. But can my son?

I visited Philip Pullman’s website today and he is obviously an agnostic (see answer for question, "His Dark Materials seems to be against organised religion. Do you believe in God?") Where is this going? ;) This topic is along the lines of a post on the Beauverre Blog today… specifically in the comment section… a post by Scott and then Janie. A discussion of the author’s personality “leaking” in the story. Well, I would say that this trilogy is a big, huge, tremendous leaking of the author’s beliefs. In a portion of his website he loudly proclaims his opinions of the organized religion in this world… our real world.

Now, here is where I’m challenged as a parent. I am responsible for my child. The themes in Pullman’s book are very thought provoking. And Pullman even makes God seem a feeble minded being… and convincingly too I’ll add. Is my child mature enough, or should I say, is his belief system in God strong enough to withstand the questions that are bound to arise in his mind? Will he really give it a great amount of thought? Will he accept that it is a “fiction” story?

One of my pet peeves is when people argue over a “fiction” story as if it were written to be true. It’s ridiculous to me. But the fact is people do relate stories to their own lives.

I decided to let my son read this series. Actually, it’s sort of too late. He’s already midway through the first story and if I pull it from him now… it’s forbidden fruit. What will happen? Well, if I were him… I’d find copies and read it anyway. LOL! So tonight I didn’t make too big of deal about it… but I was frank in telling him about Philip Pullman’s personal feelings about God and the Church and that it does reflect in these stories… but it was an awesome story and that is what it was… a FICTION story. So I hope that takes care of that. And of course, we will discuss the stories while he reads them.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I think I made the right decision too. He is taking his sweet time in reading the first one ;) So he hasn't said anything yet. He may not... I'm wondering if as an adult... if I AM thinking/worrying about it too much. I have a feeling he won't give it that much thought.