I moved a Scottish Historical to the top of my reading list. Reading Scottish Historicals do put me in the mood to work on mine.
It rained all day yesterday. So it was a very boring day with bored kids!
Yesterday, I read Something Shady by Pamela Morsi (after I did my pages). I really LOVE the way Pamela Morsi builds character and emotions. And she uses all the little details that she puts in her stories. I think this one might be my favorite of hers so far. Her stories has very little action... that is what is so amazing about it. Her stories are completely ALL about the characters and the situations that an ordinary person might find themself in. When I first started reading it specifically to see how she makes such great characters... I realized that she slowly builds her story and her characters in the start. But she presents her characters so you LIKE them before they begin LIKING each other. And that's another thing. She usually if not always has the heroine and hero already know each other... that they just never considered that they might ACTUALLY get together.
In this one she had them be attracted to each other years before (the backstory) but as time rolled on they just became aquaintances/friends. I LOVE the way she does character. I have been thinking of a Scottish Historical that I want to write. Not SH#2 but SH#3. Its really developing nicely but I think I am going to try build character like the way Pamala Morsi does it... having you know and like them first before they are thrown together. I will have to think of a good way to do this... because it can start the story slower than I usually do start it. Maybe I'll try a few different openings on that one to see what I like best. I'm rambling... but I love the way she builds character!
She writes contemporaries now. I haven't read any of her contemporaries but I would imagine she writes the same way.
2 comments:
Oh, gosh. Yet another book to add on the already top heavy TBR pile. Oy...
Tanya
Something Shady is worth reading. I loved her ending too ;)
Post a Comment