I finished reading The Windflower yesterday. That WAS a good book. I noticed the title on a few favorite romance lists. This book made it in every list as an all time favorite romance. Then JH said much the same in an email. What? One of the best romances ever written? Of course, I HAD to read it ;)
I don’t want to spoil it for you but it really was worth the trouble to finding it. It’s an out of print book. The copy I found was a 1984 first printing paperback and it looked it ;) I was plenty careful as I read it not to crack it, which would surely cause it to crumble apart. But it held and I could probably get a few more readings out of it. Which I’m sure I will.
Laura Kinsale’s book The Flower in the Storm was also among the upper favorites on the few “lists” that I looked at. These two books are similar in which one of the main lovers come down with an illness. Laura Kinsale’s did use the illness to further her plot but it made me wonder about the connection. Why? An illness is a useful tactic in emotionally involving your reader. Another similarity between these two books is that it covered many months… a believable time period for a relationship to grow. They both had the feel of epics to me too.
Where are the list's I was looking at?
Romantic Times Book Club Favorites
Theresa Medeiros recommended Reads
All About Romance Top 100 list
Feel free to add a comment if you have any other great lists that you know of.
No comments:
Post a Comment