Wednesday, November 16, 2005

More thoughts on Christ the Lord

I’ve been thinking about my earlier post on Christ the Lord. I made the comment that I thought she could have made it more compelling in the middle. After thinking about it… it isn’t just that. Or that at all. I think by the middle of the book… I still wasn’t convinced that this was the way it was with Jesus. She hadn’t convinced me as the reader. But I don’t think this is necessarily her fault. I think it was difficult for me to suspend my preconceived beliefs of Jesus. And I bet this is the case with many people. Jesus is such a personal subject. Every Christian has their own individualized relationship with Jesus and therefore has over time formed their own personal conclusions. For this reason, this has got to be one of the most difficult stories to write. Everyone has their own views because everyone has turned to Jesus for so many different things. Jesus’s relationship with each person is individualized. It’s like someone making up a story about the views and inner emotions of your mother or father. It’s the same thing. An older child of a parent would have a completely different view of what a parent experiences than the youngest child. I wonder if that is the same thing as well... will people gain less or more from this book simply because of where they stand at that moment in their relationship with Jesus. Certainly this is the case for the Bible. I just never thought about it before.

I’m glad she wrote her book.

My personal obsession is the way of the cross. What was he thinking then?

No comments: