Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig

I think I wrote a mini review on the Wild Hearts blog. SPOILER ALERT for the review below.

I loved this story! But I have mixed feelings on how she had two romances going on… and here’s why I say this. SHPC had a modern day romance AND a historical romance. Most of the book was in the historical romance because this one had a satisfying ending. The modern romance is left open for the next book… but that really isn’t the point to my feelings on how she did this. The only reason why I don’t think I would attempt this… at least right now… is that when I reached a point in the story where she switched to either the modern or historical story… THAT was where I put the book down to move on to something else… laundry, sleep, whatever. When I am in a book… I’m usually in the story for the entire duration. I still kept coming back to see what happen but it did end up taking me a week to read this story because I don’t read much during the work week… that’s my writing time. Lauren Willig was able to carry this off because her story was compelling but another writer might not be able to do this without completely loosing the reader somewhere in the book.

Lauren Willig also head hopped LOL! This surprise me because of Janie’s reaction to this story ;)

I look forward to the next one… The Black Tulip… well, I think that’s the next one ;)

No comments: