Friday, October 20, 2006

Almost Finished AvonLit

I'm not sure what happened but it turned out to be simple fun... AvonLit ;) Then it soon became an addiction ;) I've submitted two chapters every round... and today marked the final round. So I'm about to work up a chapter tonight and another on Sunday.

I had hopes in the beginning but after the first two chapters were chosen... I realized that I wrote too serious (to dark) to actually place. The story was turning out to be slap stick sort of funny. Not my cup of tea, as in writing. Oh, I like a comedy but this stuff is really pretty terrible how it's ended up together. Interesting note that makes me feel better... Julia Quinn wrote a chapter and placed at something like 73 in one of the rounds!!! She didn't use the invites that they give her either ;) That, I learned, is a necessary technique (requirement) for placing in this contest.

But I had fun with it ;) I think my most favorite chapter that I entered was when I had my hero and heroine play a parlor game with other couples and a fortune teller.

My chapter started in a semi-light tone but quickly moved to the dark side ;) I think it was the fourth round, and I was getting a bit bored. People were really getting into parodies which were hysterical (most of them anyway) but I knew I couldn't do that. One of the elements that Avon asked for in that chapter was a chocolate pot, and I immediately thought of that book, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot. I even used that phrase in the beginning of my chapter. And that title gave me an idea... inserting titles of Avon books in my story. So I actually took 4 titles that I thought I could use from 4 of the published authors on the panel. And I inserted them my fortune teller chapter. A game for the reader. One of the titles it the reason it took a really serious turn ;) (It was a panster chapter.) It was a fun chapter to write ;)

I might be able to get away with serious on this last chapter... its the love scene ;)

I'll be back to my regular blogging schedule next week ;)

This post was edited... as there is a hurrah going on in the fanlit contest and I didn't want to become involved ;)

2 comments:

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary said...

oops.. I posted answers to the wrong blog ;)