Thursday, June 15, 2006

Blog to Study... Writing Fiction by Janet Burroway

Anyone Familiar with Self-Editing by Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King?



A few months back I got on The Editorial Department mailing list. This is the website put out by the people who wrote the Self-Editing book. Today I received a Press Release on a new blog that they have added to their website. It’s so intriguing to me I decided to blog about it ;)

Here is the snip from the Press Release that caught my eye…

The Editorial Department and New York-based writer and editor Kevin Allison debuted what they call “a how-to blog for fiction writers” this week. Titled “Reading on Writing,” the blog will examine all facets of storytelling craft in detail, with examples used from classic and contemporary short stories. Blog readers will participate in the discourse for free via the “Comments” section after each entry.

“I’m thrilled to be teaching and learning in such a dynamic way,” says Allison. “We’re encouraging blog readers to send in their feelings about the stories we dissect, their own troubleshooting with fiction techniques, and their brainstorms on how to make this blog interactive and edifying.”

Like a college writing workshop, Mr. Allison’s blog will use classic texts like Writing Fiction by Janet Burroway as jumping off points for discussion. “We’ll spend a few months unpacking the Burroway text, then move on to another,” he says. “I want to make sure the texts we’re using are chock full of stories that are also free online.”




I have been meaning to read Janet Burroway's book. I have used it as a reference a time or two but I have never read the entire thing. What a brilliant gimmick for these people to get web traffic on their site! I'm going to add the link to their blog on my blog link list because I hope to make it a regular spot to check out.

The first blog post was made today... read it here.

1 comment:

Mary said...

You are right about that. To me... It is as intimidating as reading Swain's Techniques of a Selling Writer.