Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Sword of Darkness by Kinley MacGregor

I spent my day alternating reading Sword of Darkness and watching kids. Did I mention that they are home for spring break ;)

I would recommend Sword of Darkness to Dark Hunter Fans. But I think those who like straight “historicals” or even historicals with magical elements might be disappointed with this series. It started with a historical feel but ended with a feel of a Dark Hunter Novel. I would say more… but I don’t want to give it away.

I did enjoy it... It's just that I was expecting a historical. That's probably why this blurb might not come across as completely a glowing review. It was a page turner… I kept picking it up after I’d attend to a kid or two… I needed to see what happened next. It had a satisfying ending. I like the legend she developed. It was a Sherrilyn Kenyon Book not a Kinley MacGregor.

4 comments:

Bailey Stewart said...

I don't know if that would disappoint me or not - picking up a book thinking it's one thing and it ending up being something else entirely. I do know that when I have my mind set on something specific and I end up with something else entirely (whether it was good or not) has often irritated me in the past (this applies to all things, not just books).

Mary said...

I really LOVE Historicals... and this one is a "Lord of Avalon" series. She twisted the King Author Legend and I really liked what she did. But for me... her hop into the 21 century made it lose that Fantasy/King Arthurish feel. I guess I'm mourning what I imagine what the book could have been.

Mary said...

Eve... I know what you mean about having your mind set on something being a certain way and the irritation when its not. I AM feeling this way about this book. I'm not sure I'm being entirely fair to Kinley MacGregor. I had a preconceived idea about this book and high expectations before I even had it in my hands. It just didn't go they way I wished it would have.

Mary said...

I agree with you Melinda. This Lord of Avalon Series could really be so much more IMO. She really came up with an interesting twist to the Aurthur Legend. Yes it is Fantasy... but I was hoping/expecting that Arthurian period. Yes... she really could do some excellant Medievals. I sincerely hope she continues to write in the Brotherhood of Sword Series.