Friday, March 10, 2006

Non-Writing Bit of Wisdom

Today, I planned to make a purchase via a company that I use often enough on the Internet. They have competitive prices and I love their forum on their website. (This has nothing to do with writing or books… so I’m not talking about Amazon where I shop probably every other week ;) )

Anyhow… this company offers nutritional products and I was comparing products and therefore spenting a little time looking up the websites of the companies who actually made the products. Well… I found that my favorite merchant offered a few of the products from one particular company had a number of violations with the FDA. I suddenly felt betrayed that my beloved and trusted merchant sold products from a company that was a known FDA offender. So I wrote them a letter this morning expressing my disappointment… yet giving them the chance to make amends if they hadn’t known of this offense. But in my minds eye… it is their BUSINESS to know such things… so I went searching for another merchant and actually found one that offered the same things that I wanted at a cheaper price. I would never have given this new merchant a thought had I not felt disappointment in my old merchant.

What is the point to this?

It made me remember something an old boss once said. We worked for a fortune 200 company and he was in fact had a great job as one of the officers of the company. But over the years we had become friends and he gave me some sound advice… he said every 2 or 3 years he put his resume together and shopped his job. Why? To make sure he was still being paid competitively. Markets change… and this means job markets too. He is a very smart man. I’m just passing this on in case you never considered this philosophy. Sure its uncomfortable to job shop but if you don’t you will never know if could find a better deal somewhere else.

No comments: