Thursday, October 13, 2005

Studying MRU's helps me see how I write

It’s been a little busy at my house. My youngest son’s birthday is this weekend. Have to run those birthday type errands for a slumber party this weekend. Not to forget cleaning the house!

Since my last post I’ve written 2 new pages.

I’ve read Chapter 3 of Swain again. I’m not sure how many times I’ve read that particular chapter but I always find something that speaks to me differently than it did before.

I’ve also reviewed the steps in Vogler’s Writers Journey once again. And I flipped through Noah’s The First Five Pages.

I am nearly finished with my assignment #6 which I might added prompted me to take a harder look on how I’m writing. What I mean by that… is examining my reaction elements (feeling, action, speech) in my MRU’s. Looking at my first five pages this way, I think I don’t write enough of the “feeling” element in the response. But this can be debatable because I do write in “internal thought” which lets you know what the character is thinking. This is a great thinking exercise.

No comments: