Thursday, August 11, 2005

To study by Imitation (to practice that is)

I can’t believe today is Thursday!!! My kids start school Monday… the summer went by too fast this year.

Yesterday, I …

1) worked on blocking out Scene/Sequels on the story I am editing and studying their structure (true scene or not). I didn’t get nearly as far as I hoped I would… but will continue to work on it today and through the weekend.
2) wrote 750 words in my 2nd SH.
3) Blogged

This morning I read three chapters of Dorothea Brande’s Becoming a Writer… I am excited about what I read so far… she is explaining how to read as a writer. This is helpful to me because I have just begun to do this. And she explains how and what to look for… not exactly specific items to look for (just a little) but gives excellent direction. And then she instructs you in the study and practice of imitation… to pick passages that you are especially impressed with and note the number of words in the sentences, even when and where words with one syllable or more are placed. What does this do? Helps you recognize the rhythm in a story among other things… very interesting concept. I’m going to try it.

No comments: