I didn't make last weeks goal... I just edited 45 pages. Today marks a new week so I will renew my 60 page goal (of editing) for this week.
I may have to reconsider my 60 page goal next week. I'm getting further into my book and the later chapters didn't get as much attention as the earlier chapters (in my obsessive rewriting ;) )... so rewriting bigger sections will be play a bigger part in my edits. But I look forward to it really. I'm making thread changes to tighten it all up and killing off an additional character to raise the stakes.
I've been swapping chapters with a critique partner as I've been editing. She writes short contemporary suspense (mine is long historical). Her writing style is short and snappy and she really is talented at planting awesome ending hooks to every scene (not just the end of the chapter). I plot my scenes out using Swain's Goal, Conflict, Disaster... but I find it hard to think a great shocking ending disaster after EVERY scene. So I keep telling myself that we write completely different... but I can't help but think I write too much fluff... but then i tell myself I like fluff... I enjoy the historicals with lots of descriptions and I admit it... I love purple prose... but I keep myself in check in letting my stuff get out of hand since that is a taboo... but I swear I love purple prose Stephanie Laurens Style.
No comments:
Post a Comment